Formed By Fire Design Studio

Formed By Fire Design Studio
Artwork, Prints, Jewelry and Everything Else

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Laurel Burch

Next week, I plan on having students begin a painting unit in the style of Laurel Burch. Kindergarteners will be focusing on pattern. As you can see, many of Laurel's cats feature pattern. 
As usual, one of my passions is doing research on the internet. So I spent some time on the internet to discover what I could about her as an artist. I discovered that not only was she an amazing artist, she was an amazing person. At 14,  she left home with a paper bag of clothes and osteoporous. She began making jewelry which became collectable. In spite of her illness, Laurel was always prolific. Even when she was forced to paint from a bed or wheelchair, she seldom put her brushes down. Laurel said, “I refuse to have anything in my life that I can’t turn around into something magical and beautiful. I just refuse.” Due to her illness, healing was always on her mind. She considered her illness a gift. I was saddened to discover that in 2007, she passed away.




One of my students, a sixth grader, mentioned that art has nothing to do with the real world. And art grades, not important! I agree with her about art grades, not important, but art, that's a different story! Art is important, art just makes life better. So, Laurel Burch to the rescue! Let's see if I can entice her into the excitement of art by way of Laurel Burch.


Can't wait to share all the colorful artwork that we will create!
Until next time,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment